In the past few years, teeth whitening strips became very popular. In fact, such over-the-counter products are now a huge business for manufacturers. There are countless people interested in using them. Unfortunately, this led to the appearance of some strips that are not as great as they are advertised. The safety of teeth whitening strips is currently debated by dentists from around the world.
Fortunately, when you conduct proper research, you can find the very best products, those that will deliver the best possible results. However, regardless of the brand that you select, your research should start by fully understanding the advantages and disadvantages of using teeth whitening strips in the first place. This is exactly what we will discuss now.
Advantages Of Using Teeth Whitening Strips
- For most people, the whitening strips will be very effective. They will make teeth whiter and there won’t be any serious problem or side effect that will appear.
- The convenience of whitening strips is very high. They are affordable and very easy to use. You do not need to get a prescription and you can buy them from several locations. This includes pharmacies, big box stores, and even some grocery stores.
- You only have to invest a small amount of time to use them. Based on the selected brand, teeth whitening strips need to be applied for 5 to 30 minutes. Strips will adhere to your teeth and you can actually use the treatment time to do anything else. This includes regular activities you would do anyway, like watching TV, cleaning your home, or exercising.
Disadvantages Of Using Teeth Whitening Strips
- The adhesive might occasionally fail. This would make the strip completely unusable.
- If you overuse teeth whitening strips or you end up forgetting about them as they are on your teeth, enamel can be damaged.
- Gum or tooth sensitivity can appear. This can be uncomfortable, even if the discomfort does generally disappear pretty fast.
- It is possible that the strips will not work since they cannot remove all stains. The cause does need to be taken into account. For instance, the discoloration that appears because of tetracycline antibiotics, poor oral hygiene, and even tooth trauma cannot be removed with the use of the over the counter products. Such stains can actually end up looking darker because the rest of the tooth ends up whitened while they are not removed.
It is very important to understand that teeth whitening strips are just like any other product you can buy over the counter. Sometimes they are great for you and sometimes they are not. It is very important that you read and follow absolutely all the directions of the manufacturer. Also, in the event that you notice any discomfort or there are problems that develop, just stop using the product. This is when it is just better to go to a dentist to go through professional teeth whitening. In addition, the dentist will give you advice about what products you can safely use and what you should avoid.